April 19 News According to the official announcement just released by UEFA, the Champions League reform plan
If passed, 36 teams will participate from 2024. At the same time, the Europa League and the new Europa Conference League (Europa Conference League) will usher in the reform of the competition system.
The official UEFA announcement is as follows:
The UEFA Executive Committee just passed today, and the new competition format will be adopted from the 2024/2025 season.
Detailed answers to the format of the UEFA Champions League:
1. The total number of teams in the UEFA Champions League will increase from 32 to 36;
2. The traditional group match mode will be changed to a single league mode including all participating teams;
3. Each team will play at least 10 games (5 home and 5 away), instead of the previous 6 games (3 home and 3 away);
4. The top eight in the league will automatically enter the knockout stage, and the teams ranked 9th to 24th will participate in two rounds of play-offs to determine the top 16 places;
5. The qualification competition for the UEFA Champions League will continue to be open and will be obtained through the performance of the team in the domestic league;
6. Among the four increased entry places, one additional entry qualification will be given to the third place in the league (currently Ligue 1) ranked fifth in the European War points, and the promotion places for the champion group of the UEFA Champions League Qualifying Cup will also be given
Increased from 4 to 5.
The remaining two places will be awarded to the two teams with the highest points coefficient in European competitions in the past five years that have not directly qualified for the UEFA Champions League group stage, but have qualified for the UEFA Champions League qualifying round, Europa League or Europa League.
7. All games before the final will still be played in the middle of the week to show the importance of the league schedules of European countries.