December 30, AIPS (International Association of Sports Journalists) officially announced that Messi was elected as the best athlete in the 2022 AIPS voting
Sportsman of the Year.
It is reported that a total of 420 journalists from 113 countries/regions participated in the voting, and Messi was elected with 25.45% of the votes.
In this year’s Qatar World Cup, Messi scored 7 goals and contributed 3 assists. While helping Argentina win the Hercules Cup for the third time in history, he also won the World Cup Golden Globe Award.
In addition, in the voting for the women’s player of the year, Spanish women’s football player Putras was successfully elected with 11.96% of the votes.
The top 10 votes for the best male athletes are as follows:
1. Lionel Messi (football, Argentina): 25.45%
2. Duplantis (pole vault, Sweden): 9.87%
3. Kylian Mbappe (football, France): 9.68%
4. Benzema (football, France): 7.88%
5. Kristof (swimming, Hungary), Verstappen (F1, Netherlands): 5%
7. Kipchoge (distance running, Kenya): 4.1%
8. Balint (kayak, Hungary): 3.57%
9. Federer (tennis, Switzerland): 3.28%
10. Nadal (tennis, Spain): 3.12%